Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Latin Music

I've really enjoyed most of the music/ music videos we've seen throughout this class. This particular section on Latin style music was equally good. The music of the Latin World utilizes much different chord progressions and a different culmination of instruments (especially horns) than the US. The distinct sound and culture of Latin music is very pleasant to listen to as background music. Maybe it's because I can't understand what they are saying, or that it is just the style of music. My two favorite pieces in the bunch were Sidestepper and Soda Stereo (it was very 80s). The Latin house style and the more relaxed old school/ chant-singing style were both refreshing and yet familiar. Because I am taking World Music, I have already been exposed to a lot of Latin music, from merengue to salsa to reggaeton. 





No comments:

Post a Comment